Every year, around August 15, I can sense a slight shift in the air. While the temperatures may say that it is still summer, there is something subtly different in the air that lets me know Autumn is quickly approaching.
While I’m a bit sad that the sizzle and excitement of summer are beginning to fade, it also means loads of fall festivals and Autumn activities will start filling up my calendar. It’s the busiest season of the year for shopping, outdoor adventures, harvest celebrations, and social gatherings prior to our retreat indoors for the holidays and the winter chill.
LIST OF AUTUMN ACTIVITIES AND SIGHTS
Every year, we put together a guide for Autumn activities, such as viewing the golden Fall foliage of the Rocky Mountaians:
This year we decided to gather some fun activities that you can enjoy with your family or a day/evening out with the adults. I dug through every event I could locate and highlight below a few regular happenings. In addition, I’ve included some not-so-well-known options. Click on the included links for details on each event.
We hope you enjoy an exciting and entertaining fall season!
- PICK-YOUR-OWN FARMS (ongoing): Spend the afternoon picking apples, blueberries, raspberries, and pumpkins at pick-your-own-farms such as the Happy Apple Farm near Cañon City or Venetucci Farms just south of Colorado Springs. *Be prepared for photos! In addition to a fun family day out, this could be a great opportunity to capture great family photos.
- PAWTOBERFEST (September 16, 2017; Bear Creek Regional Park, Colorado Springs): Gather the entire family, including your furry ones, and support the Pikes Peak Humane Society during this annual event. Vendors, food trucks, trail runs, and loads of family activities, as well as brews for the adults! For all the information, including parking instructions and tickets, click here.
- KICK OFF TO FALL FAMILY FESTIVAL (September 23, 2017, Long Neck Pumpkin Farm, Colorado Springs): Geared toward young families. Hay rides, farm animals, games, live music, swag bags, food, vendors. For tickets and directions, click here.
- PIKES PEAK REGIONAL AIR SHOW (September 23-24, 2017, Colorado Springs): Performances by the Thunderbirds, Dogfights, Warbirds, and more. For tickets, click here. For directions to the air show, click here.
- ROCK LEDGE RANCH POW WOW ( September 24, 2017, Rock Ledge Ranch, Colorado Springs): An enjoyable way to take in the heritage and beauty of our First Nations. They honor us with their traditions and history. You and your kids will walk away with a deeper appreciation for those who were before us. Dancing, drumming, singing, food, and vendors. Ticket info here.
FOOD AND DRINK
- FORKS, CORKS, & ALES (September 23, 2017, Lone Tree): A food and music festival located at Park Meadows Mall. Microbreweries, wineries, children’s activities, and interact with local businesses.
- HARVEST FEST AT THE HOLY CROSS ABBEY (Sept. 23 -24, 2017, Cañon City): Live music, fresh roasted chilis, sweet vendor booths, loads of wine tasting! Bring your lawn chairs and picnic baskets and soak in a lazy fall afternoon. Free admission. Wine tasting tickets available for purchase.
- HAUNTED BREW FEST (October 21, 2017, Norris Penrose Event Center, Colorado Springs): 21+ Brewfest featuring over 70 breweries, distilleries, & wineries. Hellscream Haunts Cast & Characters are sure to make this an unforgettable and frightening evening! Get your tickets here before they sell out.
- THE TABLE NEW ZEALAND WINE AND COMMUNITY DINNER (October 3, 2017, Peak Place, Colorado Springs): What a better way to spend a fall evening than getting to know your neighbors over a meal? Build community, enjoy a wine tasting and tantalize your taste buds! Get tickets here.
- MORRISON CIDER FEST (September 23, 2017, Morrison): Bring your own apples and have them pressed into cider for you, hay and pony rides, music, vendors, and a car show. Location and info here.
SHOPPING, ARTS & CRAFTS
- SALIDA FIBER FEST (September 9-10, 2017, Salida): Fiber arts demonstrations, classes and activities all along the Arkansas River in beautiful Salida, CO. Wine and Beer garden, vendors, and numerous talented artists! Info here.
- MAKE AND TAKE FARM SIGNS (September 14, 2017, The Downtown FarmGirl, Pueblo): This is different and interesting! Grab a friend and learn to make your own farm sign. “Make & Take – Sign Class Overview: In this hands-on class, you will make your own farmhouse style sign using our Dixie Belle Paint Company Chalk Paint and Iron Orchid Designs – Rub-On Transfers. ” Supplies and materials provided. Click here for info and costs.
- GIRLS NIGHT OUT MASQUERADE BALL (September 22, 2017, The Emporium, Castle Rock): Grab your mask, your girlfriends, and enjoy a splendid evening of shopping, appetizers, drinks, and laughs!
- SUGAR PLUM FOOD AND GIFT MART (October 21-22, 2017, Colorado Springs): The largest holiday show in Colorado Springs. The official kickoff of the holiday shopping season! Get an early visit with Mr. & Mrs. Claus, as well as, hundreds of food and craft vendors. Click here for more info.
- HOLLY BERRY FOLK ART FESTIVAL (September 15-17, 2017, Garden of the Gods/Rock Ledge Ranch): The most popular outdoor art festival of the year. Located on the stunning grounds of Rock Ledge Ranch. Proceeds from the festival are used for ongoing restoration work at the ranch. Live music, talented artisans from all over the country! Tickets and information found here.
OUTDOOR, MUSIC, & MISC AUTUMN ACTIVITIES
- FRIDAY THE 13TH MIDNIGHT TOUR (October 13, 2017, Manitou): Tour the Miramont Castle at midnight lit only by a dim candle. You never know what could happen or WHO. Space is limited!
- SPANISH PEAKS INTERNATIONAL CELTIC MUSIC FESTIVAL (September 22, 2017, La Veta): A traditional Celtic music festival straight from the hills of Scotland. Local residents originally from Scotland have gathered together the best musicians to bring us a traditional experience. Get all info here.
- SAINTS AND SINNERS TOUR (October 21, 2017, Pueblo): Start the day with a brunch and then a tour of the historical churches and taverns. Find all info and tickets here.
- FALL PHOTO TRAIN RIDE (September 16 – Oct 1, 2017, Leadville): A 3-hour train ride through some of the most beautiful scenery in Colorado. Bring your camera and a jacket to take in the wonder and sights of the bright, golden Aspens!
- CENTENNIAL CHALK ART FESTIVAL (Sept. 23, 2017, Centennial, CO): Have you always admired chalk art shared on social media? Come watch these talented artists in person as they create a masterpiece at your feet!
Hopefully, you found a few options that piqued your interest! Don’t forget about all the Oktoberfest celebrations, Pumpkin Festivals, and Wine Festivals that abound. May all your pumpkin spice, falling leaves, snuggle by the campfire starry nights, and any other Autumn dreams and desires come true!